- This event has passed.
Lab Bench to Pilot Plant Workshop
May 14 @ 8:00 am - May 18 @ 5:00 pm EDT
Join us at the MSU Bioeconomy Institute in Holland, Mich.,
for a week-long, hands-on, chemical process
May 14-18, 2018
You will have the opportunity to learn from
the institute’s chemical industry veterans…
The workshop will familiarize you with the transitional issues encountered in moving a chemical process from the laboratory bench to a chemical plant. It includes:
- chemical plant equipment,
- process safety management (“PSM”; see 29 CFR 1910.119),
- environmental regulations and waste management,
- chemical process batch record preparation,
- scale-up process economics,
- chemical testing of raw materials, intermediates, and products, and
- case studies and “war stories.”
About the Facility
The MSU Bioeconomy Institute is home to extensive chemical laboratories plus a scale-up plant. The plant contains a large variety of glass-lined, stainless steel, and Hastelloy™ reactors ranging in size from 40 L to 4000 L, plus condensers, tray dryers, centrifuges, Niagara and other filters, and a Foxboro computer control system.
Former Pfizer staff with 100+ years of total professional experience at the site provide attendees with the operational perspectives of industrial chemists, chemical engineers, environmental/safety personnel, and plant operators.
Option 1 – Noncredit
- Cost: $695 (student or teacher: $495); participants will be invoiced.
- The workshop includes lunch each day; daily transportation not included.
- Students are responsible for their own lodging (call 517-432-4499 for information on reserved rooms nearby) and transportation.
Option 2 – Credit (4 credit hours)
- Current Michigan State University students may register for credit: CEM 890, Section 701
- The workshop includes lunch each day.
- Daily transportation not included.
- A housing subvention will be available (call 517-432-4499 for more information).