- This event has passed.
Lab Bench to Pilot Plant Workshop 2020
May 11 @ 8:00 am - May 15 @ 5:00 pm EDT$695.00
Due to current restrictions related to COVID-19, this workshop is being postponed until later this summer or fall. Please check back and watch for an email for updates. We appreciate your interest.
Join us at the MSU Bioeconomy Institute in Holland, Mich.,
for a week-long, hands-on, chemical process
May 11-15, 2020
Participants will have the opportunity to learn from the institute’s chemical industry veterans. The workshop will familiarize attendees with the transitional issues encountered in moving a chemical process from the laboratory bench to a chemical plant including:
- chemical plant equipment,
- process safety management (“PSM”; see 29 CFR 1910.119),
- environmental regulations and waste management,
- chemical process batch record preparation,
- scale-up process economics,
- chemical testing of raw materials, intermediates, and products, and
- case studies and “war stories.”
“The hands on experience was amazing, and not something I could do at any other university.” – 2018 participant
The MSU Bioeconomy Institute is home to extensive chemical laboratories plus a scale-up plant. The plant contains a large variety of glass-lined, stainless steel, and Hastelloy™ reactors ranging in size from 40 L to 4000 L, plus condensers, tray dryers, centrifuges, Niagara and other filters, and a Foxboro computer control system.
“Working on batch records and cost estimates gave me a real sense of the ‘business’ side of the plant.” – 2019 participant.
Former Pfizer staff with 100+ years of total professional experience at the site provide attendees with the operational perspectives of industrial chemists, chemical engineers, environmental/safety personnel, and plant operators.
“This workshop was invaluable. It allowed me to gain experience that will benefit me greatly as a scientist.” – 2018 participant
Option 1 – Noncredit
- Cost: $695 (student or teacher: $495); participants will be invoiced appropriately.
- The workshop includes lunch each day; daily transportation not included.
- Students/participants are responsible for their own lodging and transportation.
Option 2 – Credit (4 credit hours)
- Current Michigan State University students may register for credit: CEM 890, Section 701 (registration for credit opens March 21, 2020.
- The workshop includes lunch each day.
- Daily transportation not included.
Michigan State University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, political persuasion, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or familial status. Please inform us if you need any accommodation for accessibility at (517) 432-4499.