Lab Bench to Pilot Plant Workshop
May 13 @ 8:00 am - May 17 @ 5:00 pm EDT
Join us at the MSU Bioeconomy Institute in Holland, Mich.,
for a week-long, hands-on, chemical process scale-up workshop
May 13-17, 2019
You will have the opportunity to learn from the institute’s chemical industry veterans. The workshop will familiarize you with the transitional issues encountered in moving a chemical process from the laboratory bench to a chemical plant. It includes:
- chemical plant equipment,
- process safety management (“PSM”; see 29 CFR 1910.119),
- environmental regulations and waste management,
- chemical process batch record preparation,
- scale-up process economics,
- chemical testing of raw materials, intermediates, and products, and
- case studies and “war stories.”
“The hands on experience was amazing, and not something I could do at any other university.” – 2018 participant
The MSU Bioeconomy Institute is home to extensive chemical laboratories plus a scale-up plant. The plant contains a large variety of glass-lined, stainless steel, and Hastelloy™ reactors ranging in size from 40 L to 4000 L, plus condensers, tray dryers, centrifuges, Niagara and other filters, and a Foxboro computer control system.
Former Pfizer staff with 100+ years of total professional experience at the site provide attendees with the operational perspectives of industrial chemists, chemical engineers, environmental/safety personnel, and plant operators.
Flyer PDF for the workshop.
“This workshop was invaluable. It allowed me to gain experience that will benefit me greatly as a scientist.” – 2018 participant
Option 1 – Noncredit
- Cost: $695; participants will receive an email after registration with a link to submit a credit card payment.
- The workshop includes lunch each day; daily transportation not included.
- Students are responsible for their own lodging (call 517-432-4499 for information on reserved rooms nearby) and transportation.
Option 2 – For-credit
- Current Michigan State University students may register for credit: CEM 890, Section 701
- The workshop includes lunch each day.
- Daily transportation not included.
- A housing subvention will be available (call 517-432-4499 for more information).
Michigan State University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, political persuasion, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or familial status. Please inform us if you need any accommodation for accessibility at (517) 432-4499.